Saturday, August 22, 2009

Excuses... Excuses...

Dan always says "excuses are like assholes, everyone's got one". Think about it, it's true!

The guy who we hired to finish the basement called two days ago to tell us that our job would be delayed because he had to put his dog to sleep. I want to believe him. I really do. But, the skeptic in me (partially due to what I do for a living... or sort of a living) doesn't buy it. Not for one second. Guess I don't really see how putting a pet to sleep puts a job 3 days behind. At last check he was going to start on Monday. I'm not holding my breathe.

For nearly the last three years we have paid monthly to belong to the gym. Joining the gym was one of those things we had to do and we had to do immediately when we joined. We couldn't wait for the new fancy place to open, we had to join and we had to join now. I went regularly until after my first trimester (when as I've mentioned before, I basically gave up being active and healthy and decided on being fat) and then I jumped right back in after Cannon was born. I was cool with it when he could hang in daycare in his carseat until the woman working in the daycare (woman is stretching it, she was clearly younger than 20) shared with me the following information:
She had just had a baby a month before me but her baby was only 5 pounds when he was born.
She was worried she was pregnant again because she had sex with her boyfriend and the condom broke.

Let me be very clear, this person was not a friend. I had never met her before. I walked in, said hello, and this is the conversation we had. Enter excuse not to go to the gym.
Well, I went on Friday and the woman in daycare was delightful and loved playing with Cannon. No excuse anymore.

I really think that having a baby gives you a constant excuse.

"I can't come to work, Cannon's sick." "The baby's sleeping, don't want to wake him up so I'm not going to vaccum." "Nope, didn't get a shower, too busy with the baby." (you know, the baby who naps twice a day). Here's the problem, the construction guy doesn't have a baby so he blamed the dog. I wonder how many dogs he has.

The Best part? Regardless of when it gets finished, it will be a wonderful place for us to play and it will lower the number of hazards on the living room floor.

No comments: