Friday, August 21, 2009

Smotherhood

So a friend lent me a book in October. Yes, nearly a year ago. I started reading it on maternity leave and then stopped. No reason just no time or too much time devoted to American Idol, Intervention, and Desperate Housewives. Anyway, I picked it up yesterday and started reading again.

The book is called Smotherhood and it's written by a working mother who happens to work as a television news reporter! I am far from a book reviewer (my friend Meggie is an expert) but I love the way this woman writes and tells stories. She's witty, clever, funny and relatable.

I returned to the gym after a long hiatus due to their childcare situation (and my own general distaste for the gym we belong to, damn contracts) and took the book with me. The chapter called 'No Guilt No Glory' made me laugh out loud.

So, without further adieu...

"Sure, there are those perfect mothers who never raise their voices or allow their children to eat sugar, but they're not my friends, so I don't really care what they think of me. For those women who think they are perfect, I have some advice. Let loose, go ahead, try it, you might like it. Throw the kids some chicken nuggets, let them stay up until ten, watch a PG movie with them. Let them wear cowboy boots to church. I promise they'll survive and so will you."

I know women like this. Notice, I said, 'know' them... not 'like' them. They are the same women who tell you that the only way to get a baby on a schedule is to do Babywise or to live your life by the clock. The same women who believe 'breast is best' and anyone who believes otherwise is wrong. They're the same women who offer unsolicited advice that only serves to boil my blood and make me want to stoop to that level. You know who they are. I come across them everyday but like Amanda Lamb (author of Smotherhood), I am not friends with them and don't really care what they think about me.

The Best part? I think I may actually finish this book!

No comments: