Friday, September 11, 2009

Can't Believe it's been 8 Years...

Please don't let the brevity of this post take away from the importance. Eight years ago today I had been living in New York City for 7 days. My internship at the TODAY Show was brand new to me and so was the city. Eight years ago today I watched the second tower fall from the middle of 5th Avenue. Eight years ago today I sat on the steps of St. Patrick's Cathedral and prayed. Eight years ago today I grew up, a lot.

For weeks I walked by signs posted on telephone poles by people looking for their loved ones. For weeks and even months I walked by St. Patricks only to meet a funeral procession.

I will never forget September 11th or the days and weeks and months that followed. I will never forget the smell in the air that night even on the Upper East Side. I will never forget the images I saw that day. I will never forget what I learned about the human spirit and the courage that lies within true heroes.

I count myself lucky that I was there when... I watched the most magnificent city come together in a way no one could imagine. I watched our country pick itself up by the boot straps and move forward. I was there when.

Now, eight years later, a lot has changed. I am... we are so lucky. I hope someday to pass the lessons I learned about life and the strength of people's character, and patriotism onto our children.

The Best part? I would not take it back. I would not ask to be anywhere but New York City on September 11, 2001.

No comments: