Friday, September 25, 2009

Fool Me Twice --- Basement Update

I'm sure you've been waiting with bated breath.  Here's the latest on basement-gate 2009.

We got three bids to finish what's left to be done.  It's some drywalling, installing bathroom fixtures, pouring some concrete, trim work.  It's like 15% of the project left to complete.  The estimates are between 4 and 5K.  Gasp.

One of the bids is from a guy I know through work.  He's a magistrate in a rural KY county just south of us and I trust him.  He's been calling me with stories for a few years now and I called him to ask about our former contractor when he took off (former contractor is from rural KY too... everyone knows everyone).  Joe, the new guy, owns a concrete and construction company and offered to help.  He's not the lowest but we chose the lowest the first time around and look where we are now... 6 weeks into a 2 week project and would pay just about anything for it to be done.  So, he's coming by this weekend with a formal estimate and to meet Dan and set everything in stone.  He'll hopefully start on Monday and in a week and a half we'll have a finished basement.

Originally we were going to paint it ourselves.  Not anymore.  We are too busy and are so desperate to have it finished that paying someone to paint is well worth every dollar.

I filed my claim in small claims court yesterday.  I know it sounds like it's not worth the effort but it's about principle for me.  You don't just get to quit.  You make a commitment and you keep it.  You bid the job too low, not our fault but it's our problem.  So, in true Judge Judy styles I will be in court in November, standing up for what I think is right.  Done and done.

The Best part?  I don't want to jinx it.  So... the best part is that it's Friday and we have a great weekend ahead! :)

2 comments:

CaSandra said...

Glad for the update... I HAVE been anxious to hear what's going on!

Oh to be a fly on the wall; I'd LOVE to see you defend yourself in court!

~ Best Wishes ~

Aly said...

Good for you Cor!
I agree - I would love to see the look on that guy's face when he realizes what he's up against!