Saturday, October 3, 2009

Special Request

Consider me your dj for this read. 

A friend requested a blog post.  Ask and ye shall recieve. 

Way back when, in 2001, I did an internship at the TODAY Show.  This is pre-Meredith, pre-4 hour show, pre-Al Roker's gastric bypass, pre-Jenna Bush Hager as a correspondent. 

These are the days of Matt, Katie, Al and Ann.

The request was for more behind the scenes info.  Well... here it goes... or at least some of the tidbits I remember.

Kaite Couric once told me I was pretty.  She was getting ready to interview the Queen of Jordan (who is gorgeous!).  I think I blushed.  Please keep in mind that at this point in my life Katie was basically my idol. 

Soledad O'Brien was pregnant with twins and asked me to get her a tuna fish sandwish at 4am one day.  I couldn't find anywhere that sold tunafish at 4am.  Clearly I didn't look hard enough.

I remember Ann Curry as the kindest, most caring person I have ever interacted with.  I don't care if she stumbles every now and then, the woman is absolutely the nicest person I've ever met.

Once I was charged with making sure John (Cougar) Melloncamp go to the set on time.  In the elevator he told me he was pretty sure I thought he was old.  Then, he proceeded to tell me that he smoked a pack of cigarettes and ran 5 miles already.  It was 7am.

Without question, I weigh more than Matt Lauer.

Bill O'Reilly yelled at me once.  First let me say that at 20 years old, I didn't have a damn clue who the hell Bill O'Reilly was.  I was living in a college town where the coolest part about the newspaper was when you knew someone they asked the 'question of the week' to so that you could harrass them.  So, anyway... I digress.  O'Reilly was a guest and then MSNBC wanted to interview him so I was supposed to walk him across the street to their studio in 30 Rock.  Well, I took him out the door and past the crazies outside on the plaza.  Some lady chased him down and gave him a painting.  He didn't like that.  Oops. 

Let's be serious.  I spent a lot of time, A LOT of time, sorting mail.  The TODAY Show gets crazy amounts of mail.  Letters, books, videos, magazines, newspapers... they probably single handedly keep the postal service in business.  I also acted as the assistant to the senior entertainment producer.  Sounds fancy huh?  Well, I answered his phones and people sent me cd's.  Lots and lots of cd's.  Not that bad of a gig for a 20 year old. 

So it may not have been the most glamorous of internships but I learned a lot of 'the biz' (which I still got into despite myself) and about myself.  I met one of my best friends in the world and had a blast exploring and playing in what I think is one of the best cities in the world.

The Best part?  I can alway say, 'I was there when...'.

**there would be pictures accompanying this post, however, our basement is still... well, you know...**

2 comments:

Lindsay V said...

Yay! I love it and I love reading all about your memories. If I could meet any of them, I'd want to meet Ann. If I could run with any of them, I'd want to run with Natalie, but only for like .5 mi because she runs entirely WAY too fast. Meredith, I think is for the birds. I guess I'd travel with Matt since he's been just about everywhere.

Thanks Cor!

Corey said...

So glad you liked it... I kept adding to it every now and then... it was fun to relive...
just call me dj jazzy cor... on second thought, don't.