Tuesday, November 24, 2009

This is big... for me.

Our Thanksgiving weekend will be spent celebrating Christmas with Dan's family. They're coming here because we'll be vacationing over Christmas (home on Christmas day of course). We thought we'd have an early celebration, and spread the holiday out. We're decorated, getting a tree on Wednesday and are all set.


I'm looking forward to the visit.

This is big for me.


Huge.


Generally a visit from or to my inlaws involves several upset stomachs, stress, and anticipation of what will go wrong. This time, I'm ok. I am looking forward to spending time with them (them being my MIL, FIL, and SIL) and excited for them to spend some time with Cannon.


To say our relationship over the last 7 years or so has been 'rocky' is an understatement. I think deep down they do love me but I think there's a lot of resentment there. I think they believe I have changed their son and he's not the man he used to be. I believe we make eachother better people. I think that they think I spend money too frivolously and I think they think I'm selfish. I am nor do any of the above but those beliefs have sent us into a few knock out drag out fights. One where my MIL asked Dan in front of me what he was going to do when we get divorced. While I will never forget those words I have moved past it. We all say things we don't mean and we've all said things in heated moments that should never be spoken aloud. So I've moved past it.

Maybe it's the holidays. Maybe it's the peace and calm of my two day a week work schedule. Maybe it's that I've matured (probably not). Whatever it is, I am looking forward to this visit. I am not anticpating what will go wrong or how I will snap back when someone says something obnoxious. I am looking forward to it.

The Best part? Maybe time really does make a difference.

No comments: