Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Pickle in a Fraser Fir




I've always said that if we ever have a house big enough we'll have at least two Christmas trees.  A family tree and a fancy tree.  The Martha Stewart in me wants to have a themed fancy tree trimmed with only ribbons and pefectly spaced color coordinated balls.  It would be trimmed to the 9's and look fabulous in the front window. 

We don't do the Griswold family tradition -- "it's not going in our yard Russ, it's going in our living room".  We traditionally buy our trees at Lowes.  Exciting, I know.  A 6-7 foot fraser fir with the perfect shape and sturdy branches to hold memories. 

Every year our tree's story evolves a bit.  We started a tradition I borrowed from my parents of buying eachother a new ornament each year.  Then we began to exchange with friends.  It's cheaper than buying presents for people who probably don't need anything and a fun way to celebrate the holiday. So, without further adieu, the tale of The Best part's 2009 Christmas tree.  Drumroll please...

There are things we cherish...



          Those we savor...

















Ornaments that belonged to family members who've passed...





Who doesn't have Marilyn and Elivs in their tree?



Places of the past...




Adorable little girls, if I don't say so myself.



All you need.





Memories of vet bills...





Pictures of our first 'baby'...




Characters a generation old, now being enjoyed by a new generation.



A bit of spirit.




And some attitude.



Reminders of how lucky we are....




Celebrations of a first Christmas.


No truer words ever spoken. "I love you nto only for who you are but for who I am when I am with you."



Wishes tucked inside from the past and for the future.


And... a pickle.


The Best part about our tree is that it's filled with us.  Memories from our past, hopes for our future, values we hold dear, and some laughs.  This year I'm adding picture ornaments and maybe someday our 'fancy' tree will hold images from our past.  This tree is more beautiful than anything Martha or any decorator would put together because it's ours, it's us, it's The Best part.

2 comments:

Aly said...

you have inspired me to photograph some of our treasured ornaments.

love the pickle! (we now have 2...)

mcconkei said...

You made my day when I saw Elvis and Marilyn on your tree. Now I know I need to keep it going.