Monday, December 21, 2009

Privatizing for a bit...

I didn't want to do this but feel like I need to, at least for a little bit.

I blog because I love to write and share funny stories, vent, provide anecdotes, and share a little about our lives.  I do not blog so that people can search me out and criticize what I write or discourage my first amendment rights.

You may recall from a post not long ago, I wrote about my sorority inviting me to serve as "Toast Mistress" for their newest chapter's initiation.  I wrote about how excited I was and how honored.  I still am excited and honored but now, I'm also pissed off.

Today, I got an email from a member of said sorority's "Grand Council" commenting on my blog post.  Here's part of the email:

"I am writing to let you know that I have been contacted by our organization's Grand Council regarding your personal web page. It seems that in your most recent blog you used ritual-related acronyms and a short line from a ritual. You may not be aware, but as per sorority Policy and Position Statements this is not something our organization typically publishes and therefore, I have to ask you to kindly remove it from your web-site. I also noticed that there was a comment posted from a friend that seemed to be inappropriate and suggestive in its context with the sorority name. As a private member organization we have restrictions on how we use 21st century media tools.

My reaction, in order of emotion: Shock.  Anger.  Annoyance.  Laughter.  I am nearly 30 years old (can't believe I typed that).  I am a wife, a mother, a professional.  I resent being admonished that way and I resent that my friend who commented was admonished as well.

Here's the thing.  This is my blog.  I write what I want.  If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.  I exercise my first amendment right to freedom of speech and quite honestly, the small things I said in the previous post (which have been removed so as not to have Grand Council at my front door with torches and wearing masks) were laughably minor.  I did not reveal rituals, I didn't utter any phrases I shouldn't utter, I didn't talk about secret handshakes or knocks.  It's not like I gave away the sign you give if someone isn't wearing a pin to determine if they're a sister!  I would never! :)

So, back to the privatizing.  At first I was just angry but then I got a little creeped out.  How did they find the blog post?  How did they find the blog?  Maybe it's my naivete.  The only place I openly advertise the blog is on my facebook page.  You have to be my friend to see my facebook page.  Did someone turn me in???  It just creeps me out that there are people out there trolling the internet searching for anything of questionable content to report to the Grand Council or internet police.  So for now, we're invitation only.  Nothing personal.

So, as far as serving as Toast Mistress, I'm not sure anymore.  I wanted to, and I still want to give a great speech about my wonderful experience as a member of the sorority.  But, if they're looking for someone obsessed of sorority secrets and who bleeds wine and silver blue, I'm the wrong girl.

The Best part?  Now I'll know who reads the blog!  AND, it's temporary.  If they decide they don't want me to speak, I'll go back to public... if they still want me to speak then we'll wait until after the Grand Pubas have left town. :)

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow. I am speechless and amused all at the same time. Some people take these things waaaaaaaay too seriously!

Aly said...

Ditto Natalie.
They are way too serious, especially if Meggie's comment bothered them too.

I'd be a little creeped out. Seems like it'd be hard to happen upon your blog, let alone at the exact time you posted about being the Toast Mistress.

Corey said...

it's freaking ridiculous. I'm just going to be private temporarily cause my grandma likes to read it and she doesn't have a google account...so as soon as the pi phis are gone... it's back on. :)

Cindy said...

As a member of that wine and silver blue world... I'm not actually shocked at all... although i must admit that I did literally laugh out loud when I read this... I helped at initiation a few weeks back and someone gave me that previously mentioned hand shake and said a certain world that i was supposed to have a response to and I looked at them with a face so confused they thoguht i had to be a spy... hehe. Just thought you'd like to know I share your pain!

Oh, and I'm sure they have a system that searches keywords on the internet. Our company monitors blogs, facebook, twitter, etc. for mentions of our products, our competitors our disease state... its actually really easy to set up... so rest easy, I doubt you were turned in!

Corey said...

I think they missed the point of the post... I was excited to be the toast mistress and share my experience. I was. Not anymore. I'm not sure I'm up for a bunch of women who's lives revolve around a group they were a part of decades ago... I love the sorority for what it gave me... wonderful friends, an awesome experience, and great memories... the founders... I could care less about.

Cindy said...

I couldn't agree more, but just wanted you to know it most likely wasn't a facebook friend that turned you in :-p its probably a blanket response to ALL social media (which I agree is stupid!)

Corey said...

yeah... I didn't think anyone turned me in... it was just so bizarre... and I am just too naive when it comes to that stuff... I am just still in shock that they flipped out.

elizabeth said...

Hey Girlfriends,
Sadly, we all have to remember that whatever is put on the internet is PUBLIC. Whenever we are on the internet, we have, in effect, invited the entire world into our homes and lives. Currently, I am working on a project to try to teach children this concept and getting help from Homeland Security... Cyber-safety is not a very far stretch from what you all just experienced.. I guess it goes back to: Just be sure you never want to see anything you write on the front of the NY Times.. ta ta for now... Mom