Sunday, February 28, 2010

Never Said Never

There are few things or people I like less in this world than car dealers.  I don't want to 'get to know you'.  I don't want to fill out any paper work or share with you my children's names or hear about the deals you have a on a coupe.  I want to see and test drive your cars.  I don't want you to come with me and I don't want to make small talk about the weather, local television or what colors of car you like.  Embarking on this journey makes my skin crawl.

I am not sure when my sporty and pretty big (or so I thought) SUV turned into a sardine can but it has.  It's not a crossover or a a small SUV, it's a Pathfinder.  It's big.  It's got three rows of seats and a big engine.  And right now, it may as well be a two door convertible.  I think when carseats entered the picture the car shrank exponentially and now that we're at the end of the lease nothing smaller than my living room is an acceptable size.

I never said never.  I have lots of friends who have said "I will never drive a minivan".  Most of those friends now drive minivans.  So, I never said never.  It is a possibility.  It's not one I'm crazy about.  See, I never fancied myself the minivan type.  Does anyone?  I know a few people who couldn't get a minivan soon enough.  I am not that person.  However, I do not know anyone who does not absolutely hands down, without question, categorically, undeniably love their minivan. 

I have always fancied myself a big SUV driver.  Never a minivan.  However, if you're unfamiliar with the benefits a minivan now offeqrs you should look before you judge.  I picture myself in the rain with a cart full of groceries, Cannon on my hip and another baby (eventually, don't get excited) in tow.  Does the ability to push a button to open the doors and get out of the rain make up for the uncool stigma that goes with a minivan?  What about the ability to get to your kids on a road trip without pulling over?  Or all the bells and whistles they come with now?  Touch screen navi, rear cameras, sensors, dvd players, bluetooth, satellite radio, I could go on. 

The other option is a big SUV, I mean BIG.  A Tahoe or a Sequoia are at the top of my list.  They have plenty of space and all the toys (except the automatic doors).  I see myself in one of them.  But at this point, is it about me?  Probably not. 

The good news is that we have time.  We don't have to make the big minivan decision until this summer.  I do know that whatever we get will within days be covered in juice, goldfish, chicken nuggets and other undesirables.

The Best part?  They all have new car smell.  Except the used ones.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Tootie,
It is ALL about the doors, that is the complete reason--doors that little people are not able to do by themselves so you end up doing ALL the doors, ALL the time.. go for it..

CaSandra said...

Picture this... 2-door Cavailer with 2 kids... yah... you'll probably loose sleep tonight... that's the delima that we are living! Ha Ha

The thought of a NEW minivan REALLY excites me :)