Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I'm wearing purple... pinch me.

Everyone's Irish today.  I am Irish everyday, well Scotch Irish.  To be honest, I have no idea how much that differentiates me from a real Irish person.  I'll Google it later.

Cannon is wearing an orange shirt today.  It does have a green polo horse on it though.  The custodian at the gym said that doesn't count.  He'll get over it.

So the real purpose of the post is to share (something I'm sure everyone's read before) my favorite Irish blessing.  I considered having it painted around the top of Cannon's nursery.  Still think it's a good idea.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rain fall soft upon your fields. 
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Which got me thinking about my favorite wedding toast.  Given with a box of salt.

It's hard to keep a house without salt.  It adds flavor and taste to just about every dish.
But if you run out of toothpaste, you can brush with a mixture of soda and salt because of salt's cleansing qualities.
If you develop a sore throat, you can gargle with salt because of it's healing properties.
If you're hungry, you can cure a ham or other meat with salt because of it's perserving qualities.
You can use the salt to melt the ice that builds up in the winter cold; salt can also be used to put out fires that flare up.
So if you'll to the marriate the qualities found in salt-- the cleansing quality, the healing quality, the preserving quality--
If you use it to enhance the flavor of your life together; to melt the ice that will build up and put out the fires that will occassionally flare up between you; and of course, if you take everything with a grain of it, you will have a long and happy life together.


Which got me thinking about my favorite nursery rhyme.  Kidding.

The Best part?  The pinching.

2 comments:

the4benhams said...

john sang that blessing at the end of our wedding ceremony:)

Hillie Gaither said...

We used to sing that song at the end of every dinner at Theta...sometimes I find myself humming it at the end of meal when I really enjoy the company.