Thursday, April 22, 2010

Couldn't do it.

So my last few weeks at work (mind you those are two day weeks) have been spent covering a murder trial.  Not just any murder.  This psyco killed his wife and then chopped her body apart with a hack saw.  Then, with his three children in the car, drove around to various dumpsters all over the westside of Cincinnati and threw their mother away (save a 90 pound portion of her torso which he didn't get around to and left in his trashcan for police to find).

I love sitting in on cases like this.  It is as close as I'll ever get to being in Law and Order (doink, doink).  The details, while disgusting are fascinating and the whole process is awesome.  What I always wonder though is how in the world do the defense attorneys do their job?  On cases like this they are working pro-bono.  It's part of their legal obligations.  So how do you sit next to a killer?  How do you try to prove that someone who is clearly a cold blooded psychopath should not be sent to prison?  I know some defense attorneys pretty well and I have no idea how they do it.  I suppose they go home at night knowing they helped balance the scales of justice.  Then they take a long hot shower to wash off the psychopath.

The Best part?  Guilty.  Chopping your wife apart will get you life in prison.

No comments: