Monday, May 17, 2010

Ignore.

I've been grappling--that's a scosche dramatic--for days with how to respond to some random friend requests I've gotten on Facebook. 

For instance. 

The stepson of the second cousin of my mother in law.  Really?  Never met him.  Never.  Bought him a picture frame for his wedding but did not attend.  Does that mean I want him to know when I complain about not being able to find my bud vases or when I discuss how badly I want a glass of wine?  Not even a little bit. 

How about a 'co-worker' who works the opposite shift I do in a different department?  In five years, probably spoken five words to him and that was probably 'hi' the five times I've ever seen him.  Why does he need to see pictures of Cannon and our family?  He doesn't. 

But, here's the thing.  I've got 438 friends.  That's probably like 238 too many. 

There are people I went to high school with, who I didn't really talk to in high school (clearly I should be virtual friends with them now).  Co-workers and former co-workers who I would have never talked to again had it not been for social networking.  How about the friends of friends of friends?  I mean at first it's fun.  Then it's just downright silly.  Moreover, most of these people could probably give a shit what I'm up to or what my favorite quote from Modern Family (if you don't watch it, start, now. hands down the best show on television) is.

So, I did it.  A purge.  A major purge.  78 friends, gone.  Sorry if you didn't make the cut but if you didn't and you read the blog, that qualifies you as a stalker. 

The Best part? Chance are, the ones I cut won't even notice.

1 comment:

Hillie Gaither said...

I purge about once a month and sometime people will invite me again...I have over 700. I hate it. Especially when most of those terrible people play farmville.