Monday, May 17, 2010

Separate

I almost always spell it wrong.  Seperate?  Separate?  I stare at it too long and it starts to look like Spanish to me. 

We are having some separation (got it!) issues at the Best Part these days.  Cannon's school is taking him an extra halfday during the week to help ease his anxiety and help him get used to being in the big kids room.  I am not complaining.  This extra half day happens to fall on a day where I don't work giving me toddler free grocery shopping, errand running, and even showering.  It does however give me a bit of anxiety about him being sad at school. 

I hate the thought of him being anywhere without us and being sad.  Couple that with 17 weeks of pregnancy under my belt and there are two of us who are sad.  This morning's drop off was rough.  He started saying 'no mommy' when we pulled into the parking lot.  I left him with the director and listened to him cry while I walked out (called to check on him a little later, he's fine).   I know that like everything, this is an adjustment.  He's been at this school since he was four months old and I truly cherish the people who work there and the amazing things they teach him.  He is thriving there. 

But.  How can you not feel like he's better at home when you walk out the door and he's crying?  It's hard.  I have to know that Cannon thrives on interacting with other kids and other adults.  It's helped make him the social butterfly that he is.  He's never met a stranger.  Never.  School is important for him and it will be important for baby two too.  We're just adjusting.  Minor adjustments are good for flexibility.  Good for life adjustments.  It's good.

The Best part?  Knowing that in just a few short hours his best friend, his daddy, will pick him up.

1 comment:

Anne and Mike Field said...

Can moms have separation anxiety too? I was getting teary just thinking about dropping Elizabeth off at (actual) school in a few years! She's pretty good for now as long as I slip out without a long, drawn out goodbye, but I'm sure she'll be on to us soon! P.S. I know I've said this several times, but I can't believe what a little boy Cannon is becoming!