Friday, September 17, 2010

you had me at hello...



I think we're friends again.  Oprah and me.  Not best friends.  Clearly she's been replaced.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about first read here and then read here

Today was the first day, since the new season started, that I fought off cries for Elmo, Handy Manny and Mickey, and caught most of Oprah.  There were tears.  

By far my favorite thing Oprah does is make a difference in people's lives with her pull, her contacts and her money.  I am a sucker.  But seeing people's lives changed by this one person warms my heart.

So up first is a pie company (let's be serious, if Oprah says a pie is the best she's ever had, it's probably amazing.  I think she's had a lot of pie) that employs people with special needs to peel apples and such.  So this little southern bakery will now have their pies sold by Harry and David.  More than a dream come true for these women.  Then I find out they make a chicken pie that will be Harry and David's pie of the month for November and I'm pretty sure I have to have at least one around for the holidays (yes, they're coming and I'm planning).   

Then 50 brides.  All of them need a dress.  So, O placed a quick call to Vera (Wang, duh!) and poof!  They all get dresses, VERA WANG dresses.  But she didn't stop there.  What's that you say?  Can't afford a honeymoon?  Poof!  Airfre and hotel, anywhere they want to go.  

Then.  A single mom.  Who worked three jobs to put her three kids through college.  She's got 78K in debt and will pay it off when she's 93 years old.  Or.  Poof!  Gone.  Lady O will take care of it.  Oh, and she'll also pay you for a year of your salary so you don't have to work those three jobs.  Oh, and you want to go to Italy?  Poof!

What it must be like to be able to snap your fingers and change people's lives forever. 

I envy you Oprah (for a million reasons).  Did you miss me?  I missed you.

The Best part?  It must be magical playing fairy godmother.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I am hoping to enjoy one of those pies on Christmas day :) Great post!