Friday, October 15, 2010

For serious y'all.

**chances are I'll offend one or two readers who are more devout than I am, I apoligize ahead of time**

I don't get serious very often, if ever.  This isn't that serious but I rarely touch topics like religion or politics just because I'm not passionate enough about either and honestly, it's more fun to talk about poop and dogs getting sprayed by skunks and the stupid things people say to pregnant women.

I believe.  If you've witnessed the miracle of childbirth, how could you not believe something?

A brief history.  I was baptized Catholic.  We've been to Methodist churches, Presbyterian, Lutheran and finally in high school settled on Unitarian.  You know, Unitarian.  We don't really care what you believe or how much you want to believe, just believe.  I remember services on Easter where poodles wore bunny ears. People wore jeans to church before wearing jeans to church was cool.  This probably most closely resembles the way I feel about religion.  I'm not a big fan of organized religion.  Mostly because I don't think you have to go to a building and sit with a bunch of people and listen to someone talk for an hour a week to be classified 'a believer'.  I believe on my terms and pray on my terms and if that's a problem for whoever's upstairs then I guess I'll find out someday. 

When it comes to our children, we will educate them about all religions.  Yes, all of them.  I don't think anyone has enough evidence to prove to me or anyone else why what the Jews believe is wrong or what the Muslims believe is right.  Just like they will chose their path in life, our children can chose how religious they want to be and what they want to believe. 

I digress.

I believe. 

My Dad had chest pains last week.  He's in great health (or so we thought), exercises all the time, and eats ok-ish.  A stress test on Thursday revealed exercise induced arrhythmia.  Some more tests and they determined that they needed to do a cardiac catheterization, today.  Yes, today.  What they found was 99%, yes a 99% blockage of the 'widow maker' artery.  99%. 

I believe.  We could have (and most likely would have) found out about this the hard way. 

So, today, I thank God, Allah, Buddha, Mohammed, Brigham Young, John the Baptist, whoever else needs to be thanked.  I am so very thankful.  We all are.  And as always, we are so lucky. 

I also need to thank BGB for staying put.  She's more intuitive than I thought. 

The Best part?  Miracle.

5 comments:

Lauren Stahl said...

So glad to hear your dad is okay!

Aly said...

goosebumps.
So glad they caught the blockage!

Megan said...

unbelievable...miracle indeed :)

Jill said...

Glad your dad is okay!

McCulloch Family said...

1. Glad your dad is ok. Major miracle. No matter who or what you believe.

2. Reason #21 we need to meet: I WAS BROUGHT UP UNITARIAN AS WELL!!! I studied almost all religions throughout my childhood because of this. Very thankful for my (weird) mom for introducing it to me, as it has broadened my mind and beliefs more than you know. Well, I guess you DO know.

3. I am 100% on the same page with you about religion (and I do not talk about it all that often but DO admit to judging the extreme): it's not where you meditate or pray, it's just that you do. In your own way. Love that about you.

Muah!