Monday, November 1, 2010

Latch This

Is it wrong to call your 11 day old names?  First let me tell you why.

After three days of extreme frustration, countless meltdowns, little to no sleep, nipple shields, shells and pain, we went to the lactation consultant (LC) this afternoon.  Baby E made me look like a cracked out moron the way she jumped on and chowed down.  No pain.  Perfect latch.  Ate for 20 minutes.  No pulling off, no stopping, no falling asleep.  None of it.  Are you freaking kidding me?  I was an emotional disaster for days over this.  And we go get help and she doesn't need it? 

Now can I call her names?  :)

Actually I am SO glad we went.  These women at the hospital are phenomenal.  She answered just about every question I had and made me feel SO much better.  She had me nurse her without any clothes on and had me squeeze up high (sorry if that's TMI but if you're a regular reader you're over that by now).  It was amazing.  It was perfect.  It was the way it's supposed to be.  Now, the true test will be in an hour.  When it's time to do it again.  Latch This.

Now, let me just say thank you.  I started this blog as a way to tell stories and share anecdotes.  Who knew it would be a way to get support and make virtual friends.  Granted, most of my regulars are pre-blog besties but I love that some of you aren't. 

On another note, I think I'm onto something.  There is a market for things moms don't talk about.  I'm not easily embarassed and really don't have a problem talking about much with just about anyone.  But how come before I had kids no one said 'breast feeding sucks'... 'it's really freaking hard'... 'you'll be constipated for days after birth'... 'you don't know bleeding until you've had a baby'... 'let me tell you about the squirt bottle, witch hazel and the biggest pads you've ever seen'...the list goes on.  I read Girlfriend's Guide and Belly Laughs and either skipped those parts or they weren't there.  I'm just saying I think I'm onto something.

Standby.

The Best part?  She latched!!!

4 comments:

Lauren Stahl said...

Way to hang in there! Let me tell you, Maddie had no problems and I nursed her for a year, Nat and I battled it out for a while and I finally had a complete melt down and ended up having to pump for her, for a year, I had to keep it fair) It was a lot of work, but well worth it, so way to not give in. I sometimes get frustrated when people give up right away and just go to formula, I think I nursed and pumped for a year can't you give your kid a little extra time. I know breast feeding isn't for everyone, but at least you are hanging in there!

Katie said...

girl i alwayssss told the bad and ugly parts of everything, and not even joking, have considered my hand at writing a book about these things, lol.

Jill said...

Yay Emerson for starting to get the hang of it!
Yay to you for seeking out support when you needed it!
Sounds like you girls are off to a great start!

There is nothing like the support you can get from a good IBCLC or a mom-to-mom breastfeeding group. If you do hit more bumps in the road to easy, enjoyable, successful breastfeeding, another great resource is one of your BFF's, Miss Aly! She definitely battled to succeed with Charlie, and she did, big time.

Wait til after Holiday Mart is over, of course.

Ali P. said...

You're doing great and there is a huge mommy-blog market out there. Have fun getting into it.