Sunday, February 20, 2011

down to the napkins.

I am a master at thank you notes.  I write a thank you note when someone sneezes in my direction.  I write them well and I write them immediately. 

A thank you note just won't cut it this time.

There are moments in my life I will never forget how I felt.   I will never forget how our first kiss felt or how our first kiss as husband and wife felt.  I will never forget what it felt like each time one of our chidlren was born. I won't forget what it felt like to hear that my Mom had breast cancer, nor the elation and relief I felt when she beat it.  Won't forget the gratitude I felt when they caught my Dad's heart blockage. 

I will never forget what it felt like to walk into a room full of my best friends and hear them yell 'surprise!' last night. 

They traveled.  They got babysitters for their kids.  They stayed in hotel rooms.  They had their parents drive into town to babysit their kids in a hotel room so they could come toast me.  They drove hours.  They showed up just 20 minutes after the surprise so they could be an even bigger surprise.  They got dressed up.  They made up elaborate stories about meetings and wanting to spend the weekend with the grandkids, despite being on crutches with a torn miniscus.  They decorated and had a cake made.  They didn't slip up.  Not once.  They coordinated and they glued pictures on posterboard.  They made this almost 30 year old feel like the luckiest, most special person on the planet. 

He did it.  He planned it all.  He's been working on it for months and I don't think he'll ever know how grateful I am.  For him.  For his love.  For how much he cares.  For the work he did.  He opened the bar.  He planned the menu.  He is amazing.  I am without question the luckiest woman around.

I have always wanted a surprise party.  Always.  There are people who don't like surprises, they don't like to be the center of attention.  I am not one of those people.  I have always wondered what it would feel like.  It felt amazing.  I have no words to describe it and for me, that's saying a lot. 

I spent the night in a room full of people who I am so lucky to have in my life.  People who make me a better person.  People who I am thankful for every. single. day. 

I could never (and will never) ask for more. 

So, thank you.  Thank you for the most tremendous surprise and the most amazing night.  Thank you.

It was perfect.  Down to the napkins.

Details, pictures, all the dish, to come.  Get excited.  We went clubbin'.  That's right.  In da club.

The Best part?  They out did themselves.

1 comment:

Katie~Loves Of Life said...

that husband of yours deserves a reward! Thats amazing!