Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Venting. Please and thank you.

I rarely dive into controversy. Don't really vent about things. But that will change today. Just this one time. Unless I like it.

Remember my Saturday scene a few Saturdays ago? This one?








My precious kiddos. My adventurous, hilarious, smart, funny two and a half year old. And his princess of a sister. Just hanging out. Yep. He's got on a bike helmet and halloween pj's. The helmet has Lightening McQueen on it. He loves 'racer queen'. Loves. And he clings on to things. Just temporarily. Most kids do. So he hung out with his helmet with his favorite character on it for a few days. I don't care. His Dad didn't care. It was cute. Funny. Love that he threw on his helmet to go out into the backyard and told me on his way out the door 'safety first mommy!'. I love him for things like that. He is awesome.

When you don't live near your family, your friends are your family. They are the ones you count on when you need some help. They are the ones you spend weekends with. You celebrate and share and support. That's what friends do.

Here's what they don't do.

They don't start a conversation about the pictures of your kiddo in the helmet and take it too far. They don't say 'those pictures of him in the helmet! Those are hilarious.'. Then put their arms up to their chest and make a noise someone (who is out of touch with society and has no grip on what is socially acceptable, let alone sensitive.) might make when mocking a mentally retarded person.

I understand that I laughed at Cannon in the helmet. It's funny. I get it. But. I am his Mom. I can laugh at him. You can't. I mean you can laugh in a light hearted, sweet, adoring way. You can't make fun of him THAT way.

Also. Please don't be an ass. Making motions and noises like that went out in the 90's and should never have been in. The 'R' word should leave your vocabulary. Get with the times. And. Be more sensitive. Please. Our son is healthy and bright. But not all parents are so lucky. Let's remember that. And be sensitive to that.

Also. I will never stop celebrating his sense of adventure, humor, hilarities, and love for life and playing and having fun. Never.

Also. I think my weekly Facebook picture upload is over. At least temporarily. I will email them to friends and family who want to see. There is such a thing as too much sharing. It apparently turns friends into a-holes.

The Best part? Venting. I feel better. Thanks.



12 comments:

Meggie Dials said...

I am RAGING right now. Whoever that is...doesn't deserve to know you or your family.

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

I'm dumbfounded. Those thoughts NEVER entered my brain. Then again, I'm a teacher. I have a natural shield in my brain against That Kind of Humor. Which, really, isn't humor at all. More like insensitivity.

Wow. I'm sorry you had to even remotely deal with that.

CaSandra said...

Preach on sister!

Yes, I do think that Cannon's helmet-wearing phase is funny - in a silly sort of a CUTE way! It just lets more of his personality shine through :)

If one has to lower themself and make fun of a 2 year old, I'm afraid that THEY need the help.

I can't even imagine how hurt you must be... and I am glad that you pointed out that fact that not all parents are so lucky to have a child as bright as Cannon - I've always said he's a genious!

Keep the pictures coming; those of us who really care will keep in touch through the blog!

Christi said...

Unbelievable. I've never understood that. Just like I've never understood the "mommy wars" thing either.

Michelle said...

Awww...I think he's precious....I love that kids go through phases like wearing their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Halloween costumes ALL THE TIME (my brothers when they were little). I'm so sorry about others' ignorance at times. You have every right to vent about that. Your kids are absolutely adorable!

Jess said...

No. Someone. Didn't. Are you freaking kidding me?

He looks adorable. Happy and silly and thrilled with himself, EXACTLY right for a little boy who is obsessed with something. Gabe spent an entire spring in a spiderman mask. It was hilarious and absolutely adorable.

People suck. Let me at them. I will kick some ass.

Brandi said...

Wow! I think that it's horrible that your friends would act like that! Come on people, ignorance is not flattering! I'm so glad that you got that off your chest! That's why I love your blog! You tell it like it is!

By the way, I gave you an award on my blog today :)

Have a good day hun! :)

Corey said...

Thanks for the love. And letting me vent. And agreeing that our 'friend' is an ass. @Brandi, i saw that! So excited! Brainstorming my seven things now!

Queen E said...

Wow. People are just unbelievable sometimes. The thought never even entered my head. And? IT'S TWENTY FREAKING ELEVEN people! Not 1990. There is no place for that kind of "humor" anymore.

Sorry, lady. I can understand your frustration.

Lauren Stahl said...

Wow, I totally get your frustration, especially when said person is supposed to be a friend! Don't they know a. you don't talk like that in general and b. kids have the best quirks that are cute funny, I mean I wore a cat tail and ears around for almost a year, EVERYWHERE I went, that is what makes every individual unique! I will miss your FB picts for sure!

Becca said...

Really?! Really?

McCulloch Family said...

I cannot even begin to imagine WHO would do something like this. Unbelievable.

My motto: celebrate your own uniqueness.

If C's uniqueness is his helmet...I'll do a few flips and toe touches for him!!!

Raise each other up sista!