Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hopping lightly.

**I have zero intentions of offending anyone.  My more devout readers will likely roll their eyes in disgust and then pray for me. I take prayers. From anyone.  Anywhere.  Any faith.  Anytime.  Bring 'em. **

I was doing some Googling.  See the husband wanted to know why there is a bunny who hides eggs associated with Easter.  Truth.  I had no idea.  Google.  Here I come.  Turns out.  There is no connection, at least not a religious one (the Catholics merged religious rituals with pagan rituals like a bazillion years ago).   Stick with me here.

If you've been along for the ride for a while, you know my stance on religion.  If you've just joined us, please, catch up here.  I'll wait. 

So.  Easter is this weekend.  We have no plans to go to church.  The bunny is coming though.  Not cause the kids are good, not cause the Catholics did it a million moons ago, he's just coming.  Just because.  And he's bringing a bunch of crap.  And he'll deliver it on monogrammed Pottery Barn Kids Easter baskets.  Judge away. 

There are several reasons we won't hit up an Easter service.  First, I'm not going to subject a bunch of regular church goers to my two children who have rarely been in church, and risk ruining an Easter Sunday service for the congregation.  Second, isn't it kind of a farce if you only go on major holidays?  Just sayin'.  And third, the story of Jesus is one I barely understand.  There is no way my 2 1/2 year old can conceptualize that he died on the cross for our sins and then was resurrected.  He doesn't understand the concept of death let alone coming back from it. 

Sure, maybe if instead of Moo, Ba, La La La  or Hey, Wakeup!we read a children's Bible he might understand more.  To be clear I am not calling my child dumb, he is anything but, but I am saying that I think there are things that are just too much for a toddler brain to grasp.  The Resurrection of Christ I think is one of them.

So, what's my point?  First that you won't find us enjoying an Easter ham in our Sunday best following a church service.  Not that you would be looking for us anyway.  But also vis a vi, the following.

Maybe it's a generational thing.  Maybe it's just us.  I want our children to grow up knowing that there is a greater power.  I want them to know they are here because of it.  But I want them to know that not everyone believes the same thing, and that's ok.  And it's ok if they find that Buddha makes the most sense to them or that Brigham Young was a bright guy (please don't let it be fundamentalist though... I've seen Sister Wives).  I think the Jehovah's Witnesses do it right by not baptizing children until they are old enough to understand what they are joining, the beliefs they are subscribing to, until Resurrection makes sense.  Although I couldn't handle the door knocking and we all know I love birthdays.

So for now.  Until Jesus and his disciples and Noah's ark and water and wine and immaculate conception are things Sandra Boyton writes about we'll stick to our regular bedtime reads.

The Best part? Pretty sure not everyone will agree with me on this one.  In fact, most will disagree.  I'm ok with that.  Bring the comments.  I can take it.  And the aforementioned prayers. I'll take those too!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm a church going, Christ believing gal. I really respect the fact that you won't go to church on Easter just because it's Easter & that's what you're "supposed" to do. I also think it's important for kids to figure out what they believe & why, not just believe something because their parents do. Thanks for sharing & Happy Easter!

Kimberly {YeP, they are all mine} said...

NO disagreement at all from me.

Religion is probably the only blog topic I haven't addressed, other than one funny post about evolution...

Anyhoo, I agree 100% with you on this one! And good for you for putting it out there.

{P.S., Welcome back Catholics! I haven't seen you since Christmas!}

Craig said...

Well done Doobie............good for you!!!

Happy Easter!

Dad

Jess said...

I could say so much. My history with religion is LONG and complicated, and completely unrelated to my present engagement with faith.

My kids believe in God. Because to them, its simple. And has nothing to do with anything we've spoon fed them. We haven't been a part of church in many, many years, but again. That's not faith. People like to think that church and faith are the same thing.

So we won't be going to church on Easter either.

I get it.

Becca said...

I can see Sandra's book clearly now ?.. jesus surrounded by cute Boyton-esque (sp?) sheep. I do love her books.

Zero eye rolls and no judgment here. Maybe I will pray for you, if I can remember before I fall asleep. Hehe. (I am tired y'all!)

Your comments remind me of some funny stories regarding Easter images and toddler comprehension. I need to write them down.

In any case, May all your bunny ears be chocolate and Happy Easter!

McCulloch Family said...

With. You. Girl. Darn near 100% agree.

LOVE that you are not afraid to address this topic and I applaud you for your stance.

Standing right next to you (while holding onto my PBK basket),
xoxo Kelly