Monday, May 2, 2011

One more kiss...

Got nothing to do with the mister. Let me tell you a little about bedtime. Mostly because I hope that by blogging about it, it stops.

It's a phase. It's always a phase. Right?

Bedtime is the same every night (except that we don't bathe our kids EVERY night, judge away). We get pj's on, brush teeth, read books, sing songs, drink milk, and say goodnight after 14 different trips in for kisses.

Or we used to.

Now, it's more like this. Read books, talk about the day, drink milk, sing songs (usually originals made up by the aforementioned Mister), do a million kisses, cover up, and he gets up and he gets out of bed screaming.

The problems are several. First, when he gets up screaming, he wakes up his sister. Cause she freaks out when she hears him crying. No. They are not in the same room. They are across the hall. Still. Any sign of distress from the big brother and she is wide awake and crying. Also, he is not in bed. And it drives me NUTS. Like trying to control my temper nuts.

I would leave him in there. I would. I know he would eventually get back in bed and go to sleep. But. The baby waking up is not good.

Tonight while I was working to get her back to sleep I decided we needed a sticker chart. We usually bribe with suckers but fear of a future dentist's bill has me turning to stickers. So every night that he goes to bed like he is supposed to, he will get a sticker. They will be taken away when he does not go to bed well.

It's a plan at least. I have to have a plan. I am a planner. Will let you know. Also think I should be reading my 'What to Expect the Toddler Years' more often. Yes, I know it should be underlined but typing on the iPad makes that a pain. Open to suggestions that don't involve screaming toddlers.

Also, I know I have been absent. There are big things coming from ...the Best part... Just hang with me. It's coming.

Also, I was living in New York on September 11th. I watched the second tower fall. Not on television. In person. I will not be screaming in the streets over bin Laden's death. I don't scream in the streets over much (save a bid night or two) but I will just say that I am glad that son of a bitch is dead. And I am fascinated by Navy SEALS. And the whole covert op.

The Best part? He's deader than a doornail. I hope the guy who shot in was at point blank range and offered some choice words that let him know how we all feel about him.

1 comment:

Kate & Blake said...

This is a recommendation I got from a friend who is a mom and experienced child-rearing professional - read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child"... I'm only on page 110, but its interesting to see how much sleep is actually recommended for children. Maybe something as simple as an earlier bedtime will help with the nightly routine. Good luck!