Thursday, September 8, 2011

...just a Mom.

Three years ago today I became a Mom.  I capitalize Mom because it is my title.  My name to two humans that I grew.  I am Mom.  And I have never held a more important title.  

Three years ago today, when I became Mom, I was a working Mom.  I took the full 12 (fine, I managed to get 14) weeks and then I went back to work.  As a reporter.  A television news reporter.  I was the one in the snow, in the ghetto, at the fire, on the scene.  And it was how I identified myself.  'I'm a reporter', I would say.  I was proud of it.  Cause even though I knew it was a dirty, less than glamorous, work your ass off for no money job, to the people at home, it's high profile and fancy. 

I am just a Mom.

When we moved in July I left that job.  And although I have a killer resume tape to pass out, I haven't.  Sure. I can make excuses and talk about figuring out childcare not knowing the area, not wanting to work mornings, overnights, holidays and weekends.  The truth is, it is not what I want to do right now.  At all.

I am just a Mom.

When we told people we were moving they would ask if I was going to get a job down here.  I would say, "I'm going to stay home and be the glue for our family for a little while" or "I am going to make sure our family gets settled and moved in before I look for a job".  Or "I have no idea how I could work and get everything done that needs to be done for my family right now". 

I am just a Mom.

I couldn't just say 'no'.  No.  I am not going to work.  I am going to stay home with my kids.  I am going to be a Mom.  Just a Mom.  I couldn't say it because it was a new way of identifying myself.  A way I wasn't used to.  A way that I am unfamiliar with.  Most of my best friends are Moms.  Just Moms.  Fabulous Moms.  And I just wasn't ready to say that.  I don't know if it was my ego.  Or letting go.  Probably the ego.  Because what would they think? I spend my days wiping asses.  Cleaning food off the floor.  Sure, I could say I am working on becoming a photographer (with a lowercase 'p') but that's not my reality yet. 
.
The word just is truly a four letter one.  Oprah herself has made no secret about the fact that this is by far the hardest job in the world.  And we all know how I feel about Oprah. 

So let's talk about just. 

I am just the person who makes sure two small humans get fed, rest, are clean, and healthy on a daily basis.

I am just the person who is working to create two people who are kind.  Compassionate.  Caring.  Passionate.  Curious.  Inquisitive.  Interesting.  Funny.  And who most importantly make the world a better place.

I am just a Mom.

I am a Mom. 



I am his Mom.  And I have never been happier to spend a day celebrating him.  With a wagon ride to the playground.  And talks about alligators, lizards, cars, and running fast.  With a game of red light green light all the way home.  With swimming. Cake.  Balloons.  Presents.

Today I am soaking in every single second of being just a Mom.  And I am eliminating the word just from my answer from now on.  Or I am adding the words 'themostfabulouscaringlovinghardworkingsexyamazing' before just. I am a Mom.  I am the head of this household.  And my heart is full. 

And so tonight.  We will celebrate our little boy.  Maybe even toast to him with some champagne we have been saving for such an occasion.  Celebrate the one who made us parents.  Celebrate his curiosity, his passion, his energy, and all of him.

Happy birthday Cannon Rhys. Thanks for making me just themostfabulousamazinghardworkingsexyamazing Mom around.

Today.  He is the Best part.

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Love. Had to wipe away a few tears.

Lindsey said...

I love saying I am just a teacher and a Mom. Because the Mom part is more important to me. I make sure I pick him up before 4 PM so we can have fun times to the park before I make dinner. Then after? We make sure to take a family walk. Because? Our family is more important than that just a teacher or just a nuclear medicine tech. Love this post and happy birthday to your sweet son!

MommyMae said...

Thanks for this post. It touched me in a special way. :)I needed this!

BJ Mcconnell said...

Corey, my daughter, you have entered the great debate of working and non- working mothers. Having opened the door, did you suggest that we full-time working mothers neglected or loved caring about our children less than you do?

With most working mothers having no choice, please do not conclude that you are superior, when, in fact, you are merely fortunate to have the choice.

Love from all us working moms, including your own!

Tara said...

Hey there, I don't feel that you were asserting any sort of superiority over working moms, to me you are just saying "I love my job, the full-time job I've chosen, and I'm not going to be ashamed of that or apologize for it anymore." Kudos to you from one SAHM to another!

McCulloch Family said...

Love this post, Corey. You are embarking on a new chapter in your life and taking it on with all your heart. A passionate heart at that.

As a working mother, I did not take any offense to this post at all. Rather, I could feel your love and excitement for this new journey you are on.

I do have the choice to stay home. However, I choose to work because it's best for me. Best for my kids. Best for our family.

You've done some serious soul searching and come to the conclusion that what works best for you is being a full time mom. Good for you for taking this leap with your whole heart.

xoxo