Monday, April 9, 2012

Dr. Asshole.

Normally when I have bad customer service I have someone to call.  I can find an email address to complain to. I have some sort of outlet.  Today this is my outlet.
I've got these shin splints.  Yes? You've heard. I know.  So I made an appointment with an orthopedic guy to make sure they weren't anything worse than shin splints and also to have him look at my shoulder.  It's bothering me a little bit and I thought, when in Rome. 

So the appointment is this morning, at 10:10.  I arrive at 10.  I'm a new patient.  I know there's paperwork.  I should add I have an 18 month old with me.  And maybe you know an 18 month old who likes to hang out in a stroller for a long time, but I don't.  Anyway.  I get called back at 11:05.  That's right.  Almost an hour.  But I didn't throw a fit. I didn't even ask. I put on my very best face and used my very best patience.  I told the nurse my issues and at 11:20 Dr. Asshole comes in. 

Ask him.  He's a big deal.  Trust me on this one.  He checked out my legs for about a minute.  Told me I have flat feet (no shit...) and prescribed physical therapy (at the facility he owns).  Then I ask about my shoulder and the conversation goes like this:

Me: Can we talk about my shoulder really quick?
Asshole: Let's do the shoulder another time. I've already spent a lot of time with you and shoulder is a whole other ballgame.
Me: I waited for you for an hour and fifteen minutes.
Asshole: You want an orthopedist you have to wait for. 

And cue my mouth falling open, him exiting, and his nurse mouthing 'sorry' to me as she leaves.

This is what's wrong with healthcare.  That asshole is going to get paid even though he did almost nothing for me.  And if I was a fool and actually bought the whole 'come back again for the shoulder' thing then he would get paid TWICE. 

So. I reviewed him on ratemds.com and I emailed my insurance company.  I've found him on facebook and am considering emailing him to tell him just how disgusted I am and how I will be telling everyone who will listen what a prick he is. 

Until then, I'm telling you. 
If you live in Tampa and want to know his name I will happily tell you. Just ask.

And here's what I've come up with for the Facebook email... should I decide to send it... but I probably won't because it probably won't make any difference and he won't care and it's not worth it... but I feel better writing it... thoughts?

I hate to reach out to you this way but could find no email address or website with any contact information for you. So ,I have resorted to Facebook.
I want you to know that I am disgusted by the way you treated me today. I would have said this to your face but I was so shocked that by the time I had words to say you had swiftly moved onto the next paycheck, I mean patient. I waited an hour and fifteen minutes to see you today (with an 18 month old) and you couldn't take an extra three minutes (after spending 4 solid minutes with me) to even hear what was bothering me about my shoulder.
Clearly your time is more valuable than that of your patients. And your response when I shared with you how long I waited to see you today was nothing short of egotistical and rude. It lines up with everything I have now read about you on the internet. I don't want to see any doctor who thinks his time is more valuable than that of his patients. Having a long wait time does not make you a better physician. Just the opposite, in fact. And on top of that, it makes you inconsiderate.
I am an educated woman with a solid head on my shoulders. To suggest that I come back to see you to waste another 90 minutes of my time so you can prescribe more physical therapy at the facility you own is ludicrous. And I'm certain my insurance company would be thrilled to hear your suggestion.
I may not be a professional athlete seeking your help to get back on the field, but I am a profession talker. And I talk to just about anyone. About just about anything. I plan on talking about my experience today for a long time.

5 comments:

Aly said...

What a jerk. Sadly, a lot of doctors feel they are so good that it's a privilege to be seen by them. To say that he's already spent enough time with you, when he was an hour behind on your first visit is nothing short of bullshit.

I would sit on the FB message for a bit. See how you feel about sending it in another day or so. If it still echoes how you feel & you are comfortable hitting "send", then I say do it.

Finding good doctors is one of the hardest parts of moving to a new city. Hopefully your next experience is much, much better!

Becca said...

Ohmahgah

Wow! I posted to Facebook for a customer service complaint for a retailer a couple weeks ago. It got their attention for sure. Still waiting to see the promised results. They should arrive in 5-7 business days...

All that to say go for it.

Also, you could contact the right state medical and insurance board(s). That sounds pretty close to fraud, with the whole come back so I can double bill your insurance company. If you send a letter to your insurance, cc his practice and the state medical boards. Did you get a referral from your primary care physician? Tell him too.

Also, it sounds like a pretty good news piece for the local tv station...

Wow! I cannot believe the nurse even mouthed sorry. Can you imagine what a terror that man would be to work for?!

mwillhite said...

Whoa! I feel your pain. I went to an optometrist a few years ago who was a TOTAL dick. Every time I drive by his office I play a little encounter in my mind where I go in, cuss him out, grab my chart and light it on fire. Sit on the email a little while, although I'm sure you'll still be pissed this time next week (and two years later...like me).

BJ Mcconnell said...

Hmmm. An ego that size needs to be put down by comparison to what "quality care" truly is. He might need to hear that you live in terror for any person he operates on--since he shows such little concern in an initial exam...

Perhaps a mention that you know what you are talking about, having experienced one of the nation's best spine surgeons who treated you for five years--and always had time, said hello, was sorry if late..
Perhaps the mail order med school he attended failed to teach human kindness and respect?

BJ Mcconnell said...

Hmmm. An ego that size needs to be put down by comparison to what "quality care" truly is. He might need to hear that you live in terror for any person he operates on--since he shows such little concern in an initial exam...

Perhaps a mention that you know what you are talking about, having experienced one of the nation's best spine surgeons who treated you for five years--and always had time, said hello, was sorry if late..
Perhaps the mail order med school he attended failed to teach human kindness and respect?