Sunday, April 1, 2012

observations and revelations.

So. I had a physical for the first time in probably close to a decade.  I can't remember how long it's been.  And while the nurse gasped when I told her that, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.  I think a lot of women my age who have kids just figure everything is fine.  I can get pregnant.  Have babies.  I know all those parts work.  So I'm sure the rest is fine. 

Doctor told me to give up diet coke.  All soda.  He wasn't just hating on diet coke but it's the only one I drink.  At first I scoffed.  I haven't had one in almost a week (and there are cold ones in the fridge).  I'm surviving. Don't have a headache yet.  Drinking water instead, cause he's not a big fan of crystal light either.  Funtaker.  But he didn't tell me to give up wine so it could be worse.

I was hoping for a under active thyroid to be revealed in my blood work.  No such luck.  It also turns out the scale at home is spot on.  I digress.  I am vitamin D deficient.  You know where you get vitamin D?  The sun.  You know where I live?  The surface of it.  Florida.  Everything you read about vitamin D deficiency talks about people whose skin is never exposed to the sun.  This is not me.   

Tomorrow, I leave.  With my kids.  Without my husband.  Over six days we will fly five different times.  Tampa to Nashville to St. Louis to Pittsburgh to Cincinnati to Tampa.  The only flights where I will have someone to help me with a very active 30 pound 18 month old (who doesn't have a seat of her own because why buy one before you have to?) and a three year old, are the latter two.  You're jealous right?  Or you're excited cause this can only mean one thing: excellent blog stories.

I have these shin splints.  Posterior ones. They got bad.  Like felt like my bones were gonna crack in half.  And so I got some compression sleeves.  They help.  And not just cause they're hot pink tye dye.  Got some new insoles too.  Legs no longer feel broken.

You know that boot camp I was doing for eight weeks at 5am two days a week?  Well it just wrapped up the first eight weeks.  I swore I wasn't going to do it again.  Because 5 in the morning sucks.  But I'm doing it again.  Because the only part that sucks is the alarm going off and the getting up.  After that it's pretty awesome.  And it's turning me into a brick shithouse.  That's right. I said it.

Ok.  Off to put every snack in the house into a ziploc baggie, pack the iPad, DVD player, Mobigo, 1000 cars and a flask.

And... we're off.


2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Yay for starting another boot camp class! I agree, It always felt great to do the morning one and have it out of the way. I was way more productive at work, too. Safe travels!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

I feel like I need to give up soda too. I gave up diet, but now REGULAR soda is taking over my life. Okay, not really, but it's SO GOOD. Damn. Good luck on the trip!